HOT ARTICLES “The most informative articles on the internet”

HOT REVIEWS “Find ways to Save...”



Menopause Signs Facts and Fiction

menopause signsIt’s a common assumption that menopause is a difficult transition for the vast majority of women, but nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, no one writes articles for women’s magazines about how menopause was easy or how they went through menopause with absolutely no difficulties. A fair percentage of women go through menopause with no menopause signs at all. Of course, there will be changes in monthly bleeding, but I’m referring to the more annoying symptoms such as hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings or a loss of libido. 30% of women go through menopause symptoms free! Not too bad right? But even if you’re in the remaining 70% of women who do experience signs of menopause, in most instances the symptoms aren’t considered extreme enough to require treatment.

Not that long ago, signs of menopause were treated aggressively with hormone replacement therapy (HRT). In fact, it wasn’t until the early 2000s that wide spread use of HRT dropped. This drop in HRT use was primarily due to a study that came out during that time that showed that HRT use increased the risk of breast cancer and heart disease, but I think it also caused a sort of shift in thinking about menopause. Menopause is after all a natural process, it’s not a disease. It wasn’t until the medical field starting treating it like a disease and offering a treatment, that it was considered anything other than normal. Women successfully transitioned through menopause for thousands of years before a treatment was even offered. How ironic then that the treatment proved worse than the “disease”.

Attitudes and perceptions play a large role in menopause. Not just how women view menopause, but their culture as well. In the US, where aging is viewed as a fairly negative thing, women experience higher rates of both depression and anxiety during menopause. In cultures without this negative view of aging, these emotional symptoms are very rare. In addition, how a woman views aging also can impact menopause, women with more positive views of aging tend to fare better than women who dread the thought of aging.

Comments are closed

  • © 2010 www.h3printworks.com